June 11, 2020

Charming and Grim Folklore from Maine

I am working from home today and sitting next to an open window to let in the breeze. It's also letting in the pollen. The table I'm sitting at is covered with fine yellow dust.

I sneezed three times just now. That's not unusual for me. If I sneeze, I usually sneeze three times. That's probably more information than you want to know, but according to some old folklore from Maine, it means I should get ready to encounter a stranger soon.

Gertrude DeCrow, writing in The Journal of American Folklore in 1892, noted "Sneezing three times in succession is a sign of a stranger coming." In the same article she also wrote "To sneeze between eleven and twelve is sign of a stranger." I sneezed well after noon, so I guess only one stranger is coming.

DeCrow's article, simply titled "Folk-Lore from Maine," contains lots of charming tidbits like that. Here are a few more:


If ants build sand up around their holes, it is a sign of rain.  
If you step over a mop-handle it is a sign you will never be married. 
If the palm of the right hand itches, you shake hands with someone that day; if the left hand, you will receive money.  
If a broom, standing beside a door, falls over across the door, it is a sign of a stranger.

DeCrow doesn't explain where in Maine she found this folklore, but it seems like it's from a small town or rural area. In urban areas you meet strangers all the time, but that's not the case in small towns or the country. Meeting a stranger would be a big deal and therefore worthy of an omen.

She also includes a lot of folklore about the weather and about love. This old-fashioned type of folklore is kind of charming. It makes me think about a simpler, slower way of life. I picture myself riding a horse and farming and talking with neighbors at church socials. It's an idyllic image, particularly to a city person like myself. This folklore also makes me feel like people were living in a world filled with meaning and enchantment, something that can be missing from modern life, particularly in 2020. After all, I am working at home today due to a pandemic.



Vintage whippoorwill illustration from Etsy

But my idyllic image is only a fantasy. Rural life can be hard, and was probably really hard in the 19th century. Why else would DeCrow include a section called "Death Signs?"


If a person, carrying a corpse or empty coffin by a house, speaks with a member of the family residing in it, there be death within the year in the house. 
Instance: Mrs. Mary P. stopped a man thus to inquire who was dead, and one of her own children died within a few months. 
If there is a white horse in a funeral procession, it is a sign that another person in the same family will die before the year is out. 
If a tick bug is heard, it is a sign of death.

I'm not sure what she means by a "tick bug" and I don't want to find out. Omens of death also appear among some of the other beliefs she describes. For example, under "Moon Signs" she mentions that seeing the new moon first through a window means you'll hear about someone's death within the week. If you see it through an upper pane, an older person will die; through a lower pane, a younger person. That's grimly specific.

"Folk-lore from Maine" also includes some beliefs about birds: "Bird Signs." Much of this folklore is also focused on death:


If a whippoorwill sings night after night near a door or under a window it is a sure sign of approaching death in the house.  
Instance: A whippoorwill sang at a back door repeatedly; finally the woman's son was brought home dead, and the corpse was brought into the house through the back door. 

Even if you make it through the night without hearing a whippoorwill you still may not be safe. If you see a partridge on the doorstep in the morning you should be afraid - it's another omen of death.

That's a lot of death omens. Let's face it, the good old days weren't really that good. Certainly life was slower-paced and people may have felt more connected to their community (for good or ill), but all these omens show us the truth behind the idyll. Life was hard in 19th century New England, and medical care was primitive by modern standards. Death was a constant worry. 


The fantasy is nice, but the truth actually makes me feel more connected to those Mainers in the past. 

*****

Those of you who are familiar with the writer H.P. Lovecraft might have perked up when I mentioned whippoorwills above since they appear in some of his stories. I wrote more about whippoorwills in more detail a few years ago.

13 comments:

Ian Hamilton said...

I'm going to guess that the tick bug is probably a deathwatch beetle ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathwatch_beetle ), which attracts mates with a tapping or ticking sound. It was apparently very fond of the oak timbers used in older buildings. So you're probably not going to hear one too much today! Safety!

Peter Muise said...

Hi Ian! Thanks for the comment. That makes a lot of sense. I live in an old building now but it's mostly made of brick. Counting my blessings!

Alex wyatt said...

Hello everyone My name is Alex Wyatt, I'm from the United State of America and I'm here to give a testimony on how I successfully joined the illuminati brotherhood and received $1,000.000.00 USD as my benefit, I have tried joining this organization from a long now and I was scammed by fake agents in South Africa and Kenya, I was down and I couldn't feed myself and my family, I was afraid to contact any illuminati agent because they have taken all my money, One day I came across a testimony of a woman thanking a man called Agent Jayden Lincoln for helping her to join the illuminati brotherhood I was confused and I decided to give a try, I contacted Mr Jayden Lincoln on WhatsApp and he told me everything that has to be done and I did it, surprisingly I was made a member and my first benefit money was sent to me less than 48hours. I'm sharing this testimony because of my past experience, For those of you trying to join this organization, this is your opportunity to contact Mr Jayden Lincoln on Whatsapp: +2349136897274 Email: illuminati.nwo776@gmail.com

Alex wyatt said...

Hello everyone My name is Alex Wyatt, I'm from the United State of America and I'm here to give a testimony on how I successfully joined the illuminati brotherhood and received $1,000.000.00 USD as my benefit, I have tried joining this organization from a long now and I was scammed by fake agents in South Africa and Kenya, I was down and I couldn't feed myself and my family, I was afraid to contact any illuminati agent because they have taken all my money, One day I came across a testimony of a woman thanking a man called Agent Jayden Lincoln for helping her to join the illuminati brotherhood I was confused and I decided to give a try, I contacted Mr. Jayden Lincoln on WhatsApp and he told me everything that has to be done and I did it, surprisingly I was made a member and my first benefit money was sent to me less than 48hours. I'm sharing this testimony because of my past experience, For those of you trying to join this organization, this is your opportunity to contact Mr. Jayden Lincoln on WhatsApp: +2349136897274 Email: illuminati.nwo776@gmail.com if you want to join, please note if you are not up to 20 years above don't contact us.

Unknown said...

HOW ILLUMINATI BROTHERHOOD MAKE ME RICH AND FAMOUS. I am a member of the illuminati brotherhood, i want to give thanks to the Lord Lucifer, for what he has done for me, he changed my life, he bring joy and happiness to my life, i am living a good life today is because of the illuminati brotherhood, i have being try all my life to join the illuminati brotherhood, i was scammed some many times but i still did not give up, because when you give up in life, life will also give up on you, if you have been scammed so many times, my advise for you is not to give up, because the illuminati brotherhood is real, i joined the real illuminati paying just 500usd, to join the illuminati, i want you all to know today, , you don't pay money to join, my advice for you all is to make up your mind and join the illuminati brotherhood, when my initiation process was completed the benefits amount which was given to me is $1,000,000 to start a new life, this is the reason why i can not stop hailing the illuminati brotherhood, Are you a musician or a politician or a business person and you want to become rich in what you do if you are in any kind of problems or you in support in life, my advice to you is to join the illuminati brotherhood so that all your problems can be solve in life, to join the illuminati brotherhood you can contact AGENT CARLOS on whatsapp me +2348119132137

Unknown said...

I want to tell the worlds, that the illuminati is real because i have see the benefit of being a member of illuminati, i have tried to join the illuminati some many times, i have been scammed alot of money, but i did not give up because i know if i find the real illuminati, my life will be changed forever so i did not stop, on till i find the real illuminati official email and phone number, if you want to join the real illuminati, i want you to know that i can direct you to the real illuminati official email and phone number, brothers/sisters who is interested or who have be scammed so many times like me, that still have interest to join the illuminati because you believed that if you join your life will be changed, you do not have to worry about anything because i am here to show you all the right way to join the real illuminati, i want you all to know that when i was totally initiated to the illuminati, i was given so many benefits as a new member, i can tell you some of the benefits i was give an instant $1,000,000.00 to start a new life, house of your choice car of your choice, brothers/sisters that have interest to join the illuminati, this is the real illuminati official ( email: lw900325@gmail.com ) and the illuminati phone call center or WhatsApp number is (+2348119132137) you can contact the illuminati official email or WhatsApp number of how to join, the illuminati.πŸ”ΊπŸ‘️πŸ”Ί

Benjamin Brown said...

All thanks to Dr Ayomide for curing me of herpes simplex virus with his herbal medicine,i do not have much to say but with all my life i will forever be grateful to him and God Almighty for using Dr Ayomide to reach me when i thought it was all over,today i am happy with my life again after the medical doctor have confirmed my HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS of 5years is gone,i have never in my life believed that HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS could be cured by herbal medicine.so i want to use this means to reach other persons who have this disease by testifying the power of Dr Ayomide that all hope is not lost yet,try and contact him by any means for any kind of disease with his email: ( ayomideherbalhome@gmail.com) or his whatsapp number +2348062443909 and get your healing

Alex Smith said...

Hello everyone My name is alex smith am from California i am here to give a testimony on how I join the illuminati brotherhood, I was trying to join this organization for so many years now,I was scammed by fake agent in south Africa and Nigeria,I was down,I could not feed my self and my family anymore and I tried to make money by all miss but all invail, I was afraid to contact any illuminati agent because they have eat my money,One day I come across a post of someone giving a testimony, thanking a man calld noah robert of being helping me to join the illuminati brotherhood, then I look at the man email and the phone number that was written there, it was a Germany number I was afraid to contact him because a nigerian agent eat my $6000 and go away with the money then I was very tired, confused and I decided to contact the person that was given the testimony and i called him and I communicated with him on phone calls before he started telling me his own story about when he wanted to join, he told me everything to do, then I made up my mind and message the agent called noah robert and he told me everything to do, and I was initiated, surprisely I was given my benefit of being a new member of the great illuminati brotherhood I was so happy, For those of you trying to join this organization this is your opportunity for you to join CONTACT MR noah robert WhatsApp him on +4915217824272 or email.noahrobert890@gmail.com

Helen Morris said...

I’m here to testify about the great work Dr Uchegbu did for me. I have been suffering from (HERPES) disease for the past 5 years and had constant pain and headache, especially pains in my knees. During the first year, I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came across a testimony of one lady on the internet testifying about a Man called Dr Uchegbu on how he cured her from Herpes Simplex Virus. And she also gave the email address of this man and advised anybody to contact him for help for any kind of sickness that he would be of help, so I emailed him telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! Well i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as Dr Uchegbu assured me that i will be cured,after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends my advice is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can contact Dr Uchegbu via email druchegbuherbalcure@gmail.com Thanks once again Dr Uchegbu.

MARIA TURK said...

MICHAEL CALCE WIZARD SOFTWARE HACKING GROUP ★ ★

THE SPECIAL SERVICES WE OFFER ARE:

* RECOVERY OF LOST FUND ON ANY CRYPTO WALLET (ATOMIC WALLET, TRUST WALLET, META MASK WALLET, EXODUS WALLET, COIN BASE, BLOCKCHAIN, BINANCE, ETC)

* RECOVERY OF LOST FUNDS ON BINARY OPTIONS * Credit Cards Loading ( USA Only ) * BANK Account Loading (USA Banks Only) * MOBILE SPY * MOBILE MESSAGE HACK ( SNAPCHAT, INSTAGRAM, SMS, VOICEMAIL CALL RETRIEVE, SPY ANY CHAT APP, CLONING A MOBILE AND HAVE ACCESS TO SMS AND READ IT ANYTIME )

* TRACK YOUR PARTNER AND GET THEIR LOCATION WITHOUT THEM KNOWING

* WE HAVE THE BEST TECHNICAL HACKING STRATEGIES WHICH SURPASSES ALL OTHER HACKERS

★ You can also contact us for other Cyber Attacks And Hijackings, we do All Hacking Services

★You can also contact us via:

Email: michaelcalcewizard78@gmail.com

via WhatsApp:+447375542502

MICHAEL CALCE WIZARD

Paula Mastop Bentes said...

We see and realize all similarly as a shepherd sees and knows the entirety of the herd, our eyes peering over the majority to recognize any risk to the endurance of the human species. We are the bearers of new sunrises, the gatekeepers of the human species. We are the Pyramid, the Eye, the Light, the Eternal Circle. We are the Illuminati. Get In Touch With Us via email: adamslord85@gmail.com

Anonymous said...


I lost about $545,000 USDT to a fake MT5 trading platform few months back after I got lured into the trading platform with an intent of earning 5% profit daily trading on the platform. This period was a hell of a time for me as I could hardly pay my bills and get my feeding routine done. I had to confide in my close friends who then introduced me to the best crypto recovery team with the best recovery software at jamesmckaywizard@gmail.com or what'sapp +1 (507) 414-7049, I contacted them and they were able to completely recover my stolen digital assets with ease using their tech prowess. It was indeed an amazing service, this will forever be the best service I got on the internet. I strongly recommend this team to anyone going through similar situation with their investment or fund theft to speedily lookup this team for the best appropriate solution so as to avoid getting burnt by other fake recovery agents. Send your complaint now!!! Contact info: jamesmckaywizard@gmail.com or what'sapp +1 (507) 414-7049 Remarkable Help

Unknown said...


Reclaiming Your Stolen Crypto: A Successful Recovery with Captain WebGenesis.

Fraudsters steal hundreds of millions of pounds from innocent victims every minute using various methods such as phishing links and bogus investment schemes. That is why Captain WebGenesis, a Cyber organized foundation, is equipped with sophisticated recovery tools that are essential to assist fraud victims in recovering their monies. Although these fraudsters are generally intelligent, Captain WebGenesis is similarly designed with Cyber Intelligence (CYBINT) Experts who are very much knowledgeable in the crypto space and are able to penetrate to get to these fraudsters' systems thus obtaining access to the stolen funds and having them returned to your wallet in a timely manner. Captain WebGenesis is Extremely professional, Knowledgeable and always available for questions or consultations.

Get in touch with Captain WebGenesis,
Mail Info; Captainwebgenesis@hackermail. com

More Info ; Captainwebgenesis. com