April 01, 2012

The Devil's Den

We're blessed in this part of the country with an abundance of natural features named after Satan.

Just off the top of my head, I can think of the Devil's Chair, the Devil's Hopyard, Purgatory Chasm, the Devil's Beanpot and the Devil's Oven. Lots of towns also have at least one of the Devil's footprints imprinted on a boulder.

Clearly our Puritan ancestors were obsessed with the Evil One and held him accountable for almost every unusual rock, cave, or crevice. In some cases these natural features were also associated historically with the local Algonquians, whom the Puritans erroneously felt were Satan's minions.

That's the situation with the Devil's Den in Ashland, Massachusetts, a small cave where archeologists have found some evidence of early Indian activity. Tony and I decided to pay a visit while we were in Ashland looking for the witch caves. Why not see two interesting sites on one tank of gas?



We parked our car in Wildwood Cemetery and followed a trail that a local guidebook said would lead to the Devil's Den, but unfortunately we couldn't get there. This giant construction site blocked our access, and the trail had been removed. We actually could see the cave far on the other side of the construction site but had no way to get to it.



It turns out that Ashland is creating new athletic fields behind their high school and the Devil's Den has been at the center of some controversy. Some people in the town claim it has to be destroyed for the new soccer fields but the local historical society has been petitioning to save the cave.

The Devil's Den after being damaged. Photo taken from this site.
 Seriously? You're going to destroy a cave that is thousands of years old, named after Satan, and associated with ancient Indian groups so you can expand your athletic fields? It just seems like a decision everyone will regret in a couple years once the high school population starts to shrink again. I think it's important to preserve the things that make this part of the country interesting and unique. And besides, if I were a high school student I would rather have a cave called the Devil's Den than a soccer field, wouldn't you?

It seems the historical society has prevailed and the Devil's Den has been spared, although it has been damaged. I suppose the important thing is that the cave has been preserved, but if the Ashland soccer team has a bad losing streak we'll know who to blame. Satan!

17 comments:

papijoe said...

Don't forget the numerous Tophet swamps in your list of infernal place names. Dan Boudillion has some fascinating material on his site if you are interested. I've partially explored the one in Lexington.

I think I could make a good case that the Algonkian powwows were minions of Hobbamock, who corresponds pretty closely to the Judeo-Christian Satan. But of course there were more benevolent Indian deities as well.

Peter Muise said...

Hi Papijoe!

Thanks for that piece of information, which I didn't know. I have seen Dan Boudillion's site and it is a really great resource!

A lot of historians have made the claim that local powwows/shamen had close relationships with Hobbamock, so you're not alone in that. Certainly the Puritans did associate Hobbamock with Satatn, and the two names are used interchangeably in some witch trials. The Alonquians didn't have a dualistic, good vs. evil religious world view, though, so I don't think Hobboamock filled quite the same role in their theology as Satan did in the Puritans'. But maybe some of the Devil place names in New England do get their name because they were associated with Hobbamock? The powwows certainly did go to swamps to contact him.

Louis Vuitton Sac Pas Cher said...

I really like this website , and hope you will write more ,thanks a lot for your information.

Facebook App Developer said...

Its amazing, looking at the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you provide. I'll bookmark your blog and visit it weekly for your new posts.

Developer iPhone said...

Really your post is really very good and I appreciate it. It’s hard to sort the good from the bad sometimes, but I think you’ve nailed it. You write very well which is amazing. I really impressed by your post.

Alex said...

Thank you for another great article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information.

Automobile Logo Designs

electromagnetic shielding said...

Thanks for sharing your website.This blogs are very informative. I really say thanks to you.

Commercial Photography said...

Hi, nice post. I have been wondering about this topic,so thanks for sharing. I will certainly be subscribing to your blog.

Unknown said...

Yeah..This the matter which I am finding & now I caught! This is really exciting. Pakistan Fashion Blog | Kurta Collection | Casual Wear For Women | Bridal Collection | Pent shirt

Online Shopping in Pakistan said...

I have found this article very exciting. Do you have any others on this topic? I am also sending it to my friend to enjoy your writing style. Thanks
Online Shopping in Pakistan

Hikergirrl said...

"but if the Ashland soccer team has a bad losing streak we'll know who to blame."

I beg your pardon, but it should be, " we'll all know WHOM to blame."

Other than that, I enjoy your blog posts very much! I am disabled and can't travel like you ( I certainly can't hike through the woods), so I truly enjoy adventuring vicariously through you. I wish you many more safe and exciting adventures! :D

Peter Muise said...

Thanks for reading, Hikergirl, and thanks for the good wishes!

Online Shopping In Pakistan said...

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about information and love learning more on this. If possible,it was extremely helpful for me.

High School Diploma Online said...

Really well created work you have post here Thanks a lot for sharing,

Accredited GED Program said...

I have feel that this blog is really have all those quality that qualify a blog to be a one.

Anonymous said...

This is really exciting.This is the matter which I am finding & now I caught! Cool stuff
Biker Jacket | Biker Suit

Rich Clabaugh said...

Thanks for the post, Peter! Breaks my heart when folks don't appreciate/respect historical sites, so important to preserve!